Toggle Accessibility Tools


All MSU employees are required to have the following documentation:

  1. I-9 Immigration Reform and Control Act
    • The I-9 form and the list of required information can be found online.
    • Previous and current MSU employees who have an I-9 on file with Human Resources do not need to complete a new form.
    • New employees will need to complete the I-9 and bring it to the main office along with the necessary supporting documentation listed on page 3 of the form.
    • International employees must fill out their I-9 form at OISS (Office of International Students and Scholars) located in the International Center, Room 103.
  2. Social Security Card
    • All employees must present their original social security card before they can be hired. If an original is not available an application for a replacement can be found online.
    • International employees should apply for a Social Security Card immediately upon arrival. They are allowed to work for one month while waiting for the card to be issued. After one month the University will hold paychecks until they have received a copy of the SS card.
    • Help in applying for a Social Security card is available at the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) located in the International Center.
  3. Federal and State Income Tax Forms
    • Research associates with an MSU netID can complete their tax forms (Federal and State W-4) online using the MSU ePayroll system.
    • Student employees can complete their tax forms (Federal and State W-4) online using the STUINFO site or ePayroll.
    • Temporary labor employees and on call minors can complete their tax forms in the office or download the forms from the Office of the Controller and bring them to the main office to be submitted to the payroll department.
    • All international employees can receive assistance with their tax forms from the Payroll office. Additional tax information for international employees can be found at the Office of the Controller.