BMB Community Standards
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BMB) is committed to fostering the education of students and postdocs in a welcoming and supportive environment.
All members of the BMB community are expected to treat each other in a respectful, professional manner. We are all responsible for holding to those standards both on and off campus (e.g. at conferences, meetings or field work). In addition to following University policies, we ask all members of BMB to support and adhere to our community norms of respectful and responsible conduct.
BMB has established the following standards of conduct:
- Act ethically and with integrity
- Be fair and respectful to others
- Be welcoming and inclusive of all people
- Manage, supervise, instruct and advise responsibly
- Protect, preserve and responsibly use University resources and property
- Promote physical and mental health & safety
- Promote a culture of compliance with legal requirements
- Preserve academic freedom
- Ethically conduct research, teaching and community engagement
- Acknowledge conflicts of interest
- Carefully manage public, private and confidential information
BMB will ask Michigan State University authorities to take action in case of:
- Sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking and relationship violence
- Bullying behavior
- Unethical research, including falsification of data or information
- Scholastic dishonesty
- Unauthorized use, including misuse of, facilities, equipment or services
- Theft, property damage or vandalism
- Violation of University rules
- Violation of local, state or federal laws
MSU SANCTIONS FOR UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR
Sanctions will be commensurate with the nature and severity of the offense. Consideration will be taken of persistence of violations and the impact of the offense on other people. Sanctions may include:
- Reassignment of work activities
- Paid or unpaid leave of absence
- Termination of employment
REPORTING MISCONDUCT AND MORE INFORMATION
MSU’s Office of Institutional Equity (OIE):
The OIE serves to uphold and advance our shared values through oversight and application of civil rights policies.
The Anti-Discrimination Response and Investigations team supports, responds to, and investigates reports related to discrimination and harassment based on race, ethnicity, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual identity, height, marital status, political persuasion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or weight.
The Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct Response and Investigations team supports, responds to, and investigates relationship violence and sexual misconduct, including dating violence, gender-based harassment, sexual assault, and stalking.
The College of Natural Science Diversity, Equity and Inclusion website lists comprehensive resources relating to Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct, Discrimination, and Conflict Resolution.
(Click on the image below to view a high resolution version.